Monday, February 27, 2006

Too much input?

Starting to get confused with the different views depending on the source - message boards, books.... The more I read about Zen Buddhism or Buddhism in general, the more 'heavy' I find that it is. I should be taking my own advice and slowing down and taking baby steps. There is no need to become an expert within the span of a month or two. I've received another beginner's book today and I'll try to refrain from ordering any more just now. I should focus on practice.

The basis of Zen is Zazen (meditation) which is probably the most important thing for me to focus on... mindfulness practices are also very important....then the things on my daily reminder list such as noticing my behaviour and the other things from the podcasts. Thich Nhat Hanh is an excellent source of wisdom and as of now I have just one of his books but I'm sure I'll own most if not all of them at sometime in the future.

I've looked into Ven Hanh's Plum Village Buddhist retreat centre in France and am hoping to to a week long retreat sometime in 2007...spring or autumn. Can I really get up at 5 am?? Guess so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thich Nhat Hanh is a great person, his books are very helpful and genuinely from the heart. I haven't met him in person, but I also was planning to go to Plum Village some time with my family. Turns out, there are family retreats in the summer but my kids are still a bit too young. Probably next summer, as a stop-off on our way from Egypt back to the USA.

You're right about there being a lot of information on Buddhism, and it can be overwhelming if you try to swallow too much at once. Try to keep it simple.

Did you consider subscribing to a Buddhist magazine? I find that's an enjoyable way to keep in touch with current Buddhist thoughts, but in small easy-to-digest articles. I like Shambhala Sun, but Tricycle and others seem to be good also. --Bob (Cairo, Egypt)

Annie said...

I love Thich Nhat Hanh's simple way of saying things. It makes the concepts easier to digest and make them part of my life. I'm looking forward to going to Plum Village but do want to wait until I feel I've advanced a bit.

Keeping it slow and simple is what I've been trying to do. I found such good advice and resources on the internet and feel I've chosen the best books to get me started, as well as the podcasts I listen to. I looked at the different message boards and have chosen to stick to one even though it's not extremely active. The moderators are quite good, and have been studying Buddhism for many years. http://www.buddhachat.org/forum/index.php