Thursday, February 02, 2006

Taking tiny steps

I'll work on being mindful today. I've done it before and had some quite interesting experiences. This was during the years I was reading Carlos Castanedas books. Interesting to see that a website about mindfulness techniques featured one of his books, The Power of Silence, as recommended reading. It is referred to in the books as stopping the world, and when it occurs it is simply indescribable. Everything is sharper, the world, your mind, your body and it is very pleasant. It feels fantastic to be alive!

Some of the things to do to gear oneself toward being more mindful - in the present - is paying complete attention to what one is doing...whether it is doing the dishes, eating, anything. Think only about the task at hand. I am very unmindful when I eat at home - I sit at the computer with the tv on in the background. I have occasionally tried (when hubby isn't home) to eat at the table, no noise anywhere and simply focused on every bite of food. I ate slowly and tried not to let my mind wander. I found this extremely difficult.

No comments: