Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Mindful walking


I was reading last night about walking meditation which sounds like a great thing to do. It gave me an idea today as I did a rough-ish walk that I do for exericise and to build stamina. This walk has lots of steps, tree roots, rushing water and small waterfalls, and hills. It's the type of place that would make a sceptic believe in faeries. I haven't done this walk for quite some time due to the cold...okay, and some laziness, so I didn't do it at full speed as I always do when doing it several times a week. As usual my mind was chattering away nonstop and then I thought about doing my walk mindfully. I did quite well though of course my mind strayed a few times. Grass, rocks, gurgling water, pine trees, pine needles, uphill, lots of steps, sounds of rushing water, dirt, slippery tree roots, the feel of my body as I went down a steep hill, moss, logs, logs, lots of logs...hmmm....they've been busy sawing here....shortness of breath, the last set of steps.... I really enjoyed this walk in a different way than usual.

Puck's Glen - King of the Faeries

No comments: