Monday, February 13, 2006

Mindfulness

My suggestion on a mindfulness talk was used on the latest A Quiet Mind podcast. I did the techniques of saying to myself what I'm doing as when I did the breakfast dishes and when I drove to my client's house. It's easy to be mindful when I drive around here because of the lack of traffic. I can notice what's around me and enjoy the beauty of this landscape.

As regards to a previous lesson - that of noticing when I am judging/getting angry.... I was driving back home this afternoon down a single track road (one lane with traffic in both directions whereas you move over in passing places).... anyway I was mindfully driving down the road, noticing my breath, noticing what's around me, the feel of my hands on the steering wheel, no cars in sight. Suddenly a car going too fast (typical) is coming toward me not giving me much chance to move over into the passing place. I started to say 'give me some f*** room' -- automatically cut it off in mid sentence, and immediately calmed down. Aye, I'm guilty of swearing and having little patience with bad drivers.... but I anticipate that changing in the future.

I'm asking for advice on the Buddhism forum on Beliefnet.com. Helpful people but contradictory advice.... one says forget about the books and mind for awhile - and just focus on the body, another said I needed to read the basics, another to focus on meditation, another to get a teacher.... I think I'm going in the right direction and not trying to learn everything at once, but I wanted confirmation of that and other tips. Ah well...

Now reading the Basic Buddhism Guide:
http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/basic-guide.htm

and also a Zen meditation guide recommended on the Beliefnet forum:
http://www.mro.org/zmm/meditation/index.html
This should help with the problem I have with getting a comfortable sitting meditation position. Will try various postures.

I plan to sit for 5 minutes in the morning before work and in the evening at least once.

No comments: