Sunday, February 05, 2006

Stumbling Toward Enlightenment

This book 'Stumbling Toward Enlightenment' is so down to earth....I can see it was very likely the best choice for me as an introduction to Buddhism--not too heavy and spoon-feeding me the basics. Here I am far away in Scotland and I find the author gave the talks in this book at a Buddhist Temple which is just a couple of miles away from my brother's house in Michigan. Small world. Guess I'll need to visit the temple when I go back for Christmas.

Why I feel Buddhism may be the best path for me:
As someone who has been easily stressed for most of my life I'd like to:
-be calmer, peaceful-live in the present, not the past or future
-possibly prolong my life by dumping stress
-those around me will benefit as well, ie husband (who is naturally calm)
-I need to change by way of seeing things, being judgmental, impatient, needing to be right, a bit of snobbery....ok...sometimes quite a bit-learning acceptance.

First steps to do daily:
5 minutes meditation
Remember to think only about the task I'm doing - mindfulness
watch out for judging people or making assumptions

No comments: