Thursday, March 23, 2006

Ok, I can breathe freely now...

Trying not to condemn myself for how I felt about being with a very challenging person who has no idea was being peaceful means. She's like a ticking time bomb, watching and waiting for something to get pissed off about. I found stopping and trying to breathe deeply extremely difficult though it helped a few times. One night when trying to go to sleep I could feel that my heart was pounding at probably double the rate it should be - all from trying and failing at suppressing anger.

Right...well, this person and her ill-behaved child slept in the room I've been using as my meditation room. Wondering how to get the bad vibes out of the room. Maybe the beautiful vibes of the innocent, happy baby who also slept in the room have counter-acted their bad vibes? Needless to say I did not manage to meditate at all while they visited. I know from experience that trying to meditate when I'm upset in any way is a total waste of time.

Back to my regularly scheduled programming.....or not....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's such a challenge, to try to be peaceful and compassionate when others around you are not making a similar effort. I struggle with this every day.

It seems to help if we think of Buddhism as an experiment, after all Shakyamuni himself encouraged people to do that and not just follow his words blindly. So, as an experiment, we can choose to follow the eightfold path and live by the ten grave precepts, even if others around us do not. What I've found so far is that by living honestly and with respect and compassion for others, life does seem to go better. Even people who try to harm you, they are less effective when you yourself are mindful and don't fall into those same negative behaviours. Along these lines, I find the following quote to be relevant: "If there is no wound on the hand, one may handle poison; poison does not affect one who has no wound; there can be no evil for one who has no evil intention" (Dhammapada)

Buddhism is more about understanding and overcoming negative feelings, rather than suppressing them. The mindfulness that one gets from meditation, coupled with compassion toward one's self and others, helps to make this possible.

Bob (Cairo, Egypt)

p.s. i have to get a login, so i don't keep posting as 'anonymous'! i am new to this website... what an interesting way to communicate.