Saturday, May 27, 2006

Which tradition of Buddhism?

I've been wondering since I still don't know enough about each tradition of Buddhism if I'd been thinking I was following Zen when I wasn't. The monk at the abbey last weekend thought the podcasts I listen to and find so helpful weren't Zen. As far as I can find there are two schools of Zen, but at this point I don't care. It is possible to be an independent Zennist. Certainly Thich Nhat Hanh is not either of these schools. His path, from the opinions I've read, is his own type of Zen - Vietnamese mixed with other philisopies as well as Engaged Buddhism. His focus on mindfulness is what draws me the most.

So, I posted this query to E-Sangha and the opinions were basically the same. Don't worry about whether what I'm doing is specific to a certain tradition. Most people start out with Zen. Just go with what I'm doing now, but instead of sticking with Zen only books, look a bit into the other traditions. I'm comfortable now with Zen terms and meditation. I don't care what brand of belief system the podcasts are...I've found them extremely helpful and will continue to listen to and practice what is taught.

Years ago I thought about coming up with my religion....just choosing what I find is right for me and following it, no matter what belief system it came from. The person insisted I couldn't do that. Well....why the hell not? I don't intend to do that now, but I'm likely to not follow any specific branch to the letter. Of course it will be Buddhist because I see how right the basics feel to me.

2 comments:

tao1776 said...

I'm not sure what I think about this. On one hand, I too have studied many facets of Buddhism and Taoism. Over time, I likened it to a man who dug many, many wells, never digging deep enough to drink of the coolness that a greater depth would have to offer. Sometimes wouldn't it be better to stick with one well or one vehicle with which to journey?
On the other hand, I have been an E Sangha member for some time and find only a few that ever do anything more than confuse the issue even greater.
I have, over time, become a student of The Wanderling...but I only seek to let go and let that which is within us all come forward.

Annie said...

Tim,

What you say does make sense for the long run. As a newbie and someone who knows myself very well, it is best in the short run for me to not get bogged down in the complexities of Buddhism. One thing I often get stuck on is labeling things. I've tried to label the podcasts I listen to and can't do it. They help me. So I listen and will continue to listen. For now I will stick with my Zen books, especially TNH but will also do more reading on the basics and more about the Buddha himself and his teachings.

It doesn't matter to me if I never feel I can call myself Buddhist....my goals are clear to me.

As for forums....I've been on two other Buddhism forums and quit them. I'm still fairly new to E-Sangha but I've already learned to take what everyone says with a grain of salt. It was interesting to notice though that it's common for newbies to go with Zen first.