Saturday, October 28, 2006

Sigh

Aye, I admit to having seriously lapsed in my practice. I haven't forgotten though. I still try to focus on mindfulness. Meditation is only occasional. I'm sure something that keeps from progressing is the fact that Buddhist practices bring up things I've buried and would rather forget. Of course, I can't. They are there regardless if I practice or not. I feel they are a huge block to my finding peace.

Everyone says meditation should never feel like a chore, or something to get over with. So I'm not pushing myself to do it.

Still listen to the Quiet Mind podcasts when there are new ones. Those always help keep me focused. I sometimes re-listen to them while I drive. I think I'll put together a CD of my favourite ones, the ones that energize me and really make me think.

I'm looking forward to my husband being gone on a long weekend trip to see his daughter. Then I can do my 'day of mindfulness'. I find it easier to meditate when he is not here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annie,

You might be interested in checking out Zen teacher Cheri Huber http://www.livingcompassion.org/

She has written over 20 great books on Buddhism and I think you might find her interesting. She also has a weekly radio show devoted to discussions on meditation and practice in general.

Don't hesitate to contact me for any other info.
kevjdunn@gmail.com
Kevin (a fellow student of Buddhism in NZ)

Anonymous said...

I'm on a big meditation kick now. 6 weeks ago I wasn't. It comes and goes.... and it certainly feels like a chore sometimes. My goal is to practice in moderation and not take extended breaks.

A teacher here often gives direction along the lines of "Recognize that the backbone of our practice is the inexhaustible willingness to begin again"

Thanks, Kevin for the Cheri Huber link.
Tim (A fellow student of Buddhism in Minnesota)

Annie said...

Thank you for the link Kevin. I have an area set up for meditation and sometimes think I'll just go sit for 5 minutes. When I do, it's always for longer.

Tim, thanks for the quote. I AM always willing to begin again.

annie