Thursday, September 28, 2006

A day of mindfulness

In one of Thich Nhat Hahn's books he suggests setting aside one day a week to be totally mindful. One needs to be alone to do as he suggests it - no talking when one is still new at this. So this would be extremely difficult for people who don't live alone - especially someone with children.

I plan to do this when my hub goes to visit his daughter in London soon. I'll have several days to myself so I can also extend it to the other days when I'm not working. TNH suggests doing chores slowly and mindfully and enjoying them, not doing them quickly in order to get them done and overwith. Other ways to spend the day include slowly taking a bath, mindfully drinking tea, eating, reading, going for a walk, gardening. This will mean for me leaving the computer off. I will do extra sittings as well.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Thanks Tamara.

I've been looking at chores which I naturally do mindfully and will include them when I get this day alone. Tidying and reorganizing shelves, drawers, closets & cupboards are things I completely focus on while doing them. I will have to do them a bit differently though as I will do them with music on and often will be singing along. That would be 3 things at once which is 2 too many!

The Geminean Power said...

I totally agree that it's a bit difficult for us to be alone (to practise mindfulness meditation) while we've other family members living together. However, this will certainly be a good challenge to us, and will bring the level of mindfulness to a higher level if we do so.